Sunday, December 11, 2011

Because I Can

 Earlier this summer, my sister, who is a marathon and avid runner, hurt herself while running. She had to take months off to recuperate, do physio etc. It was so hard for her to not run.

I do not have the same problem. I can not run regularly, and for long periods. But it occurred to me the other day that if I want to keep up with my active friends and not hold them up skiing or biking or whatever, I owe it to myself and my friendships to up my fitness. Plus my little sister had told me that I should be active "because you can" and at the time, she couldn't.

 There are lots of folks who have had injuries or are differently abled who would like to run if they could. Yesterday, while running for the first time in many many months, I had the thought, "I run because I can."

Thanks Sister. That 's good advice. And look at where I got to run. I listened to the songs of the wax wings who are in town, and the burble of the Bow river. Doggy, Yamnuska, and I stopped for a little break and to lap up water + beauty.


No comments: